Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 15:57:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Adam,
> this is a waste of time. DATA IS NOT COMPLETELY ON THE CLIENT, as I
> stated earlier. The grid doesn't have a chance to sort unless all data
> is loaded, but it's just the special feature that data is *not* loaded
> completely!

What data exactly isn't at the client? If the sorting of the data that
*is* at the client (the values displayed in the grid are most certainly
rows inside the grid control inside the application running on the
user's PC) is implemented at the wxWindows level and is completely
transparent to pgadmin3, what difference could it possible make?

> Other libraries don't implement this either. You'd have another
> problem: Which key code is going to be "Select all"? Is it the one
> that seems to be used more or less widely on the platform,
> Apple-A/Ctrl-A/Alt-A, or the one that many editors use, including the
> embedded Scintilla which implements a complete set of keyboard
> shortcuts? I doubt that the wx people would accept any of both solutions.

As I said in my previous e-mail, the key sequence and the behavior isn't
driven by the library, it's driven by the control/widgets that wxWindows
uses to implement its dialogs in a native format. For example on Linux,
the select all text would work if the GTK+ widget for a text box
supported it. The same with the comctl32.dll controls on Windows. This
is the whole point of a window manager implementing widgets for its
application to use: common behavior across all its applications without
having to write code to handle it at the application level. Now if
Scintilla wants to override this default window manager behavior, and
implement its own shortcuts, then more power to it, but it doesn't
change anything with regard to what we're talking about. All I'm saying
is that the standard window manager behavior should be supported and
implemented, if possible (and it shouldn't require any code by us).

Take, for example, the Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons in the
upper-right corner of every Windows application. You don't implement
the code to create these boxes, specify their behavior, handle their
events, etc. This is done by the window manager. You just create a
window, tell the window manager whether you want those boxes to appear,
and that's it (well the Close box event gets handled, but its a special
case). You also don't implement code to handle movement of the window
around the screen, except for the regular re-size, re-draw events, and
then only if you have special circumstances. This is the exact same
thing as supporting Ctrl-A,Alt-A, or whatever the standard "Select All"
key combination is for the particular window manager. NOTE: I am
definitely saying that implementing this should*NOT* be done at the
pgAdmin3 level, unless absolutely necessary, and if it does become
necessary then we can argue over which key combinations to use.

ahp