Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Childs <Blue(dot)Dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta
Date: 2003-08-15 09:17:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Stephan Szabo wrote:

>>the

>>I can also attest to the horrendously long time it takes to restore the ADD
>>FOREIGN KEY section...
>>

>That really needs to be rewritten to do a single check over the table
>rather than running the constraint for every row. I keep meaning to get
>around to it and never actually do. :( I'm not sure that in practice
>you'll get a better plan at restore time depending on what the default
>statistics give you.

This is clearly a case for a statement level trigger, as soon as
affected rows can be identified.
One remark on that enable/disable triggers stuff: from a user's
perspective, I wouldn't consider a constraint trigger as a trigger, so
if I'd disable all triggers on a table, I still would expect all
constraints to be checked.

Regards,
Andreas