Re: The database is very slow !

From: Chris Webster <cjw(at)ucar(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The database is very slow !
Date: 2003-08-14 15:04:39
Lists: pgsql-general

>postmaster (trhough postgres.conf)? If you haven't done any of these then I
>wouldn't be surprised if the db was slow - i think the default install of
>most linux distros leaves you with 32mb shared memory which makes your 700mb
>of RAM useless. As far as 60 fields are concerned I doubt that would be a
>problem although I've never used a table with more than 20 - anybody out
>there know if number of fields on a table can create performance issues?

I'm having performance issues also. High load averages on all
postmaster processes. I performed 2 tests:

1) lowered the number of fields/columns from 273 to 60. No affect.

2) changed from adding a new record/row once per second to every other
second. Load average dropped 30-40%

I plan on trying to up the shared memory from 32Meg to 256Meg today.

--Chris