Re: TODO items

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO items
Date: 2003-08-08 04:00:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
>> o Allow array declarations and other data types in PL/PgSQL DECLARE
>> o Allow PL/PgSQL to support array element assignment
>
> AFAIK, these two are not done, but they are redundant. Either one requires
> the implementation of the other.

They are done (at least the array declarations and array element
assignment part):

create or replace function test() returns integer[] as '
declare
v_ret integer[] := ''{}'';
begin
v_ret[1] := 1;
v_ret[2] := 2;
return v_ret;
end;
' language plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
regression=# select test();
test
-------
{1,2}
(1 row)

>> o Add PL/PgSQL PROCEDURES that can return multiple values
>
> Hmmm ... I know how this got on the TODO, but it's a fragment of a larger
> suggestion about PROCEDURES vs. FUNCTIONS. I don't think it makes much
> sense on its own without the other elements; maybe we should take it off
> until I can make a full proposal?

Is this somehow different from table functions (SRFs)?

>> o Add table function support to pltcl, plperl, plpython
>
> If this was done, I would dearly love to know about it ...

Pretty much sure this has not been done. I'll be happy to work with
someone if they want to pick this up, but I don't use them enough to
feel comfortable doing it myself.

Joe