Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql]

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Robert Millar <rmillar(at)studioimpressions(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql]
Date: 2003-07-29 14:32:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello Robert,

On 29 Jul 2003 at 10:10, Robert Millar wrote:

> I am a designer/developer and my hosting supplier now offers PostgreSQL along with the better known MySQL. I have also worked with MS SQL server7. I cannot find any comparison on your site to tell me the benefits of PostgreSQL over these other two. Can you give me a summary of the biggest advantages of PostgreSQL over the others, and why I would want to switch?

When compared against mysql, postgresql offers several advanced features, that
include

* Transactions
* MVCC transaction paradigm for higher concurrent scalability
* Stored procedures
* Referential integrity
* Rules
* Multiple language bindings
* Inheritance
* SQL compliant implementation

etc.

For an application developer, these feature are very necessary to develop
application that guarantee integrity of data and mark clear isolation of
business and presentation logic.

I know mysql offers transactions but I do not think they are available in
default installation of mysql.

I am aware that mysql is rated faster than postgresql. But those who use
postgresql in production disagree. A properly tuned postgresql installation
should be fast enough by any measure. However the default postgresql
configuration is extremely conservative and is not at all set for a high
performance installation.

Compared to MS-SQL7, people see a performance advantage with postgresql but I
have no data to back this up as of now. Some of the advantages I mentioned
above such as multiple language bindings and rules stand true with MS-SQL as
well.

Please refer to http://techdocs.postgresql.org for documentation and other
materials.

Feel free to send us any question. I recommend to join pgsql-general list to
discuss any problems you might face.

HTH

Bye
Shridhar

--
Nachman's Rule: When it comes to foreign food, the less authentic the better. -
- Gerald Nachman