Re: Partition DB Tables by month

From: Dani Oderbolz <oderbolz(at)ecologic(dot)de>
To: Romildo Wildgrube <romildo(at)ragingnet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partition DB Tables by month
Date: 2003-07-29 11:47:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Romildo Wildgrube wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to break the data files by month like in Oracle so that
> I can easely drop the tables on a monthly basis? Is this something
> postgres supports or is there a work around solution?

Hmm, as far as I know its not supported.
But I could think of a solution of a table per month
which are then hidden behind a view which does a UNION ALL
on all of them.
You could even automate the Adminostration of this via a Function.
I mean, in Oracle Partitions behave like single tables, so this would
simulate somethig similar.
But I think the Optimizer would not
be able to see that he must only access the table table_Jan_2003
if you are restricting on January 2003...

Cheers, Dani