Re: using ssl some of the time

From: Charles Hornberger <charlie(at)hss(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using ssl some of the time
Date: 2003-07-24 18:18:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Charles Hornberger wrote:

>>>Right, it will use SSL if possible, so if both client and server are SSL
>>>enabled, SSL will be used. 7.4 will allow you to control that.

I have one more question about the plans for 7.4. How will users of
clients based on libpq use this? Will there be a new optional connection
parameter ('ssl=true') or something?

>>As an aside: The only reason I'm worring about this is that sometimes my
>>client apps generate rather large query results and as far as I can tell,
>>the overhead of SSL encryption/decryption is slowing things down quite
>>noticeably in those cases. But I'm pretty ignorant about these matters,
>>and maybe SSL's not to blame (although I'd be hard pressed to explain the
>>difference in query performance between local and SSL-over-TCP connections
>>otherwise).
>

> Please let us know what you find from testing.

Just a quick follow-up to share one (!) data point, which looks to me
like it indicates that SSL encryption/decryption is pretty expensive on
one of our Sun Ultra 5 boxes. The following query ("select * from wp")
generates ~270K of output. When executed via a psql client that's
connected over a non-encrypted link, it takes 0.7 seconds; over an
encrypted link, it takes more than 10 times that long.

# time psql -qAt -c 'select * from wp' eclatch > /dev/null
real 0m0.718s
user 0m0.120s
sys 0m0.080s
# time psql -h localhost -qAt -c 'select * from wp' eclatch > /dev/null
real 0m8.081s
user 0m3.930s
sys 0m0.410s
# psql -qAt -c 'select * from wp' eclatch | wc
2057 30717 276549
# psql -c "select version()" template1
version
PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on sparc-sun-solaris2.7, compiled by GCC 2.95.2

-Charlie