Re: Translation: Languages

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Translation: Languages
Date: 2003-07-16 20:47:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 July 2003 10:33, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Another
>>approach would be to have an own list of languages, with pre-translated
>>strings in it. This would enable us to display every language name in
>>its native language right from the start.
>>

>This is my preferred approach. Translating languages is not interesting
>because you will look for your native tongue in your native language.
>
>It is acceptable to display a list of 40 languages (I hope :), with some not
>displaying well, if the user can switch the list back to English and select
>the font interactively. At least, it will make sure pgAdmin3 translation
>displays well in a chosen language.

I added the file ui/pgadmin3.lng, which contains the full names as
wxWindows knows them, together with the native translation. I copied all
translation if available from the corresponding *.po file. On my Linux
system, all language names display well, except for Farsi; the arabic
font seems to be defective, being defined to consume much more space
then it actually does. Hopefully, the Farsi and Arabic users have a
better font. On win32, the font is ok.

Each translator should state which exact language version he supports,
including specification of the land (or lands), and provide the
translation. To make translation of the language name easier, I provided
a languages.po file, including all language names. Translators may use
the languages.po file (attached), and send it back with just the native
name translated. We'll add this to the pgadmin3.lng file.

For some unknown reason, the file didn't go to cvsroot/pgadmin3, but to
cvsroot itself. I can't see why this happened, AFAICS wincvs did
everything right. Dave, can you have a look at languages.hwx (source)
and languages.po and move it to the right place?

Regards,
Andreas

Attachment Content-Type Size
languages.po text/html 16.3 KB