Re: polymorphic arguments and return type for PL/pgSQL

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: polymorphic arguments and return type for PL/pgSQL
Date: 2003-06-30 17:53:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

Joe Conway wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> (It might be time to change the cache lookup into a hashtable instead of
>> a simple linear list search...)
>
> I could do that if you want, but do you really think it's worth it? How
> long does a linked list have to get before a hash table starts to be a
> win (this is something I've always wondered about anyway)?

I was about to start looking at the hash table implementation and have a
question. Do you think it would be better to do

1) a hash lookup by function oid to a linked list of different compiled
versions (for each set of argument/return types)
-or-
2) create hash key using a new structure that includes function oid,
return type, and argument types, and use that for direct lookup.

#1 looks easier, and given the waning hours might be more likely to get
finished. #2 is probably preferable, but a bit more work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe