Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.
Date: 2003-06-30 13:30:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Csaba Nagy wrote:
> What about development time ? It is always nice to have the database
> give you some actually useful pointers instead of making you loose your
> time chasing around the error in your code. We are all just humans, do
> mistakes, and do like when the mistake is easily spotted by an error
> message pointing to the right place.
> So the rationale of the request is legitimate.

I never claimed that the request itself wasn't legitimate. And I totally
agree with you up to here.

> Your repulsion against comparisons with other databases might be
> understandable, but it's the best reference language for non-developer
> postgres users to describe the requested feature in terms of the feature
> of another database.

You think that the original statement "MySQL is better in these small
things" was an attempt to "describe the requested feature" ... really?

Guess I need to learn some non-developer english someday. Seems to be a
completely different language.

Jan