Re: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)

From: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: Bernard NIZET <bernard(dot)nizet(at)online(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postmaster doesn't start under CygWin (semctl failed)
Date: 2003-06-26 19:29:37
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Bernard NIZET wrote:

> Thanks for help.
> Now I have my postgres user.
>
> And I saw I'm in postgresql 7.3.2.
> If I want to upgrade to 7.3.3 do I have to uninstall ? Do I need to
> upgrade ?
>
> I tried to start postmaster, without success. The service stop with no
> message from postmaster.
>
> So I gave a look at /usr/share/postgresql directory
> I saw the owner was not postgres. So I tried a chown or chown -R again
> on the data directory and the owner stays always and always my NT
> Login User.
>
> I started postmaster under bash (while IPC-daemon was started like a
> NT service) and I used -d 5 parameter to debug.
>
> The message received was :
>
> IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid
> argument
>

> Where is the problem ?

I had a similar problem when i tried to install postgres as a service
last year. I ended up just starting manually from the command line. Good
thing old commands are saved by the shell, and can be easily scrolled
through...

--
Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.