[OT] Windows v/s Unix [was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Documentation quality WAS: interesting]

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: "'PostgreSQL-general'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [OT] Windows v/s Unix [was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Documentation quality WAS: interesting]
Date: 2003-06-24 15:47:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On 24 Jun 2003 at 9:08, scott.marlowe wrote:
> I gave up on windows as a workable solution for interfacing to Unix
> systems long ago. It's like driving a mini-cooper around a track full of
> formula-1 cars.

I agree. But I would like to point out two thinks why unix lovers hate windows.

1. Pathetic text processing tools.
2. Pathetic kernel.
3. Pathetic GUI.

Last comes from KDE. So not too much relevant to really old unix guys. But I
miss KATE with multisession abilities. Konqueror when I select a URL to open it
automatically, no matter source of it and all kind of other goodies..multiple
desktop is one of them..

For 1, cygwin could do it's best. I use mksnt as it is required by my day job.
Anything is almost OK compared to windows command line.

But 2. is killer. I can do a grep search in a 120MB dump in less than 3-4 min.
on linux if files aren't cached and in less than 30 sec. if they are cached.
Nothing on windows comes anywhere close to it even on logarithmic scale.

I miss linux..:-( really bad..:-(

Bye
Shridhar

--
"On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'-
everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS."(By Tarl