Re: I'm Back

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I'm Back
Date: 2003-06-20 15:24:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Adam H. Pendleton wrote:

> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>
>> On Friday 20 June 2003 15:28, Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
>>

>> - pgAdmin3 configuration script should query wxgtk2ud-2.5-config and
>> not wx-config symlink. The reasons is that pgAdmin3 cannot conflict
>> with existing wxGTK 2.4 installations. Otherwise, it will never enter
>> a Linux distribution.
>>
> The wx-config symlink should point to the most recent (that is the
> last 'make install'ed) version of wxWindows on the box. If a user has
> more than one wxWindows installation, and they want to use a version
> which is *not* symlinked (I can think of all kinds of problems with
> this), then we can provide a --with-wx-version= option so they can
> explicity specify the version they want to use (2.5-2ud, 2.4-ud,
> 2.4-d, etc.).

Why do we need that?
There's the --with-wx option, which should point to a valid wxWindows
directory, from there the version should be derived. Unicode and debug
chars are derived from their appropriate options.

>> - Mandrake 9.1 provides rather old autoconf (2.13-16mdk) and automake
>> (1.4-21.p6.mdk) packages. No update is provided on Mandrake Cooker,
>> the equivalent of Rawhide. Also, I tried to install these packages
>> from source, but the installation did not pass the test. So can we
>> do? Would it be possible to use a more complex autoconf script ...
>> which would work on old autoconf + automake?
>>
> I think I can fix the scripts so that they can be used with the old
> versions of autoconf and automake. I will need you to test them to
> make sure they work, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Do we need autoconf to be running on all systems? It's just for creating
the configure scripts, and the normal "download and compile" user will
never use autoconf. He'll "configure; make; make install" and that's ok.
An ambitious user who wants to contribute or sth. will be required to
use the latest tools, including autoconf.

>> - SuSE 8.2 installation needs a patch to find PostgreSQL headers. A
>> patch has been sent to Dave. Please find it enclosed.

Sounds strange to me. I'd expect pgsql lib and include to reside under
the same directory (usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib, if no special
prefix is applied).

Regards,
Andreas