Re: pg JDBC driver feature question

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Erik Price <eprice(at)ptc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg JDBC driver feature question
Date: 2003-06-14 01:05:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Erik,

thanks,
--Barry

Erik Price wrote:
> Is there a place that I can find out all of the features supported by
> the PostgreSQL JDBC driver, or the ones that are not yet ready?
>
> In short, I am curious about two things --
>
> 1. The DatabaseMetaData.supportsIntegrityEnhancement method returns
> false for me using the pg73jdbc2ee.jar driver. Perhaps I just don't
> fully understand what this method actually means, but I would have
> expected it to return true, since PostgreSQL (the database) supports
> referential integrity constraints? Or am I confused about two different
> things.

If IntegrityEnhancementFacility = integrity constraints then yes the
driver should return true. But I really don't know what
IntegretyEnhancementFacility means. It isn't discussed in either the
jdbc javadoc or the jdbc specs. It is entirely possible that it implies
a lot more than just plain integrity constraints in which case returning
false for this method may be the correct thing to do.

> 2. Is the DatabaseMetaData.getExportedKeys method fully implemented in
> the Driver? Specifically, I would like to identify all of the foreign
> key tables that depend on a specified table's primary key using the
> FKTABLE_NAME column.
>
> I'm just trying to nail down whether the bug I'm experiencing in my
> development is something I've overlooked or if it could possibly be an
> unfinished implementation of the driver.

I believe this has already been answered, but the short answer is it
should work. It would be a bug if it didn't.

thanks,
--Barry