Re: Page Checksums

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Koichi Suzuki <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Page Checksums
Date: 2012-01-21 23:12:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 10, 2012, at 3:07 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I think we could add an option to check the checksum immediately after
> we pin a block for the first time but it would be very expensive and
> sounds like we're re-inventing hardware or OS features again. Work on
> 50% performance drain, as an estimate.
>
> That is a level of protection no other DBMS offers, so that is either
> an advantage or a warning. Jim, if you want this, please do the
> research and work out what the probability of losing shared buffer
> data in your ECC RAM really is so we are doing it for quantifiable
> reasons (via old Google memory academic paper) and to verify that the
> cost/benefit means you would actually use it if we built it. Research
> into requirements is at least as important and time consuming as
> research on possible designs.

Maybe I'm just dense, but it wasn't clear to me how you could use the information in the google paper to extrapolate data corruption probability.

I can say this: we have seen corruption from bad memory, and our Postgres buffer pool (8G) is FAR smaller than available memory on all of our servers (192G or 512G). So at least in our case, CRCs that protect the filesystem cache would protect the vast majority of our memory (96% or 98.5%).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net