Re: pgAdmin3 translation, Oid datatype

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 translation, Oid datatype
Date: 2003-05-30 08:15:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>As usual, I have several silly questions:
>
>1) wxGTK versions
>Could you outline the Unicode differences between:
>- wxGTK2.4 linked against GTK1.2,
>- wxGTK2.4 linked against GTK2.0+unicode support,
>- wxGTK2.5cvs linked against GTK2.0+unicode support (poEdit uses only this
>version).

I can't; hopefully, it's just setting the right macros and compiling.

>Unicode UTF-8 is highly needed if we want Asian languages support. Do you
>think we will be able to translate pgAdmin3 into Asian languages?

I'm lacking any experiences with that, but why not?

>3) I don't understand why a __() sting should not be translated and then
>translated. Will it enable you to create a translatable pair, like
>"développeur = developper". Could you point out examples of __() strings?

Normally, it's no problem that tagging and runtime translation is done
in the same place; that's what is performed using the _() macro. But in
some cases, this will not be ok. Look at the table in pgObject.cpp;
these strings represent both words that are used for sql command
creation, but also for user display purposes. Thus these strings need to
be tagged, so they are extracted for translation, but may *not* be
replaced by the translated version in the table itself. Instead, the
translation only may take place when used for displaying some
information to the user.
I tried to make this clear in my doc about this, feel free to propose a
different wording to make it clearer.

Regards,
Andreas