Re: ENCODING (Unicode)

From: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ENCODING (Unicode)
Date: 2003-05-21 07:10:58
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-novice

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
Thanks. Glad to hear about pgAdminIII...
To follow up on this topic:
Given that i can insert and retrieve Unicode values into either ASCII-based or Unicode-based DB, is Unicode-based DB less efficient? I remember reading something about it a while ago. I don't see immediately why that would be the case though, because special characters are 2 bytes either way, assuming we are not simplifying Unicode characters into ASCII.

Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.