Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of
Date: 2003-04-25 22:20:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 13:23, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:
> > I have a system that will store about 2TB+ of images per year in a PG
> > database. Linux unfortunatly has the 16TB limit for 32bit systems. Not
> > really sure what should be done here. Would life better to not store the
> > images as BLOBS, and instead come up with some complicated way to only
> > store the location in the database, or is there someway to have postgres
> > handle this somehow? What are other people out there doing about this
> > sort of thing?
>
> Now that the hard disk and file system issues have been hashed around,
> have you thought about how you are going to back up this much data?

Legato had shown a couple years ago already that Networker can backup
more than a Terabyte per hour. They used an RS6000 with over 100 disks
and 36 DLT 7000 drives on 16 controllers if I recall correctly ... not
your average backup solution but it's possible. But I doubt one can
configure something like this with x86 hardware.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #