Re: can you select on an OID?

From: Dani Oderbolz <oderbolz(at)ecologic(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can you select on an OID?
Date: 2003-04-23 07:22:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Jay,

>I want to insert a row; one of the items in the row is of
>type SERIAL. After I insert the row, I want to know what
>value was assigned to the SERIAL item, call it the f_id.

Whenever you create a SERIAL column, Postgresql creates an imlicit
Sequence in the background
(as SERIAL isn´t a real Datatype).
I am not entirely sure about the naming convention of this implicit
sequequence, I think it is like this:
TABBLENAME_COLUMNNAME_seq
So, you can get what you need using the currval function.

So if your table looks like this:

CREATE TABLE test
( first SERIAL );

then you can get the value like this: