Re: How does PG know when a database is being accessed ?

From: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
To: nickf(at)ontko(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How does PG know when a database is being accessed ?
Date: 2003-04-18 19:07:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Nick Fankhauser wrote:

>>It most certainly does. You sure you don't have new connections coming
>>in all the time?
>>

>Pretty sure- That was my first thought as well, so I checked for stray
>processes. I'm in the middle of something else right now, but this evening
>I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and supply the details.
>
>-Nick

>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

What happens to me occasionally, is that I open pgAdminII and (in some
versions and/or configurations) that opens all the DBs and delete-locks
them. Other times I connect via psql (on a linux box) to the actual DB
I'm trying to drop.

In other words, I found that often I'm the culprit myself. I now check
regularly by executing:

$ ps auxwww | grep "^postgres" | grep -v grep | grep [database name]

and that shows me who is connected to the DB.

Andrew