Re: contrib and licensing

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib and licensing
Date: 2003-04-03 12:50:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>On other Unixoid systems you can link against BSD-license libc code, or
>some-random-proprietary-license code from HP or Sun or whomever. glibc
>doesn't have a monopoly in that sphere. But mlw is offering code that
>will *only* run against a single implementation that is LGPL licensed.
>That makes it effectively LGPL.

Here is my "vision" for lack of a better term.

Server 'A' runs a "web services" version of a PostgreSQL server, (or any
soap server) I have a working prototype that works.
Server 'B' runs a different instance of PostgreSQL.

With the ability to return multiple columns in a set of rows from a
function, it should be possible to do this:

select foo.a, bar.b from foo,
soapexec('http://somehost/pgsql?query=select+b+from+bar') as bar where
foo.b = bar.b;

(or something to that effect, the SQL may not be perfect.)

To be able to do that, we need:

some HTTP request code
a solid XML/SOAP parser.
The "soapexec" function needs to be able to do a few things:
Return more than one column in a multirow set.
Find out the field names that are expected.
Find out the datatypes that are expected to be returned to the query.

Tom, when one creates a function, can the function tell, in an efficient
way, what data types and names may be expected?

I have been talking about adding this feature to a few developers not
involved with PostgreSQL, and they are finatic about the idea. As far as
I can tell no other DB does this.