Re: pgadmin3 query tools

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin3 query tools
Date: 2003-04-02 00:50:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Keith,

efesar wrote:

>The only thing that is MDI is the table/view windows, and that should remain
>true. I dislike MDI as well, and I wanted to avoid it. However, it was the
>easiest way to do what was necessary. To build clipped frames in a similar
>manner seems like unnecessary effort. The reason I would like to build my
>own Pseudo-MDI class (in the future) is to avoid the uncustomizable MDI
>framework in wxWindows.
>
>Here are my two cents. We put a "view" menu in BOTH our tools. It will
>either have a checkmark on Query Builder or on Query Analyzer (or the
>preferred name, of course). When in the Query Builder, if they check on
>Query Analyzer, it will close itself and open your tool. Vice versa in your
>tool. And we can share window placement.

That's not far from my solution, switching from one to the other with a
menu/toolbar. We would have two tools, I wouldn't really bother about
that. As I wrote, the core code could be wrapped into a control, either
derived from wxNotebook or wxListView, whatever is more useful.
There might be another argument towards two distinct tools: Porting to
**ix might be easier. Don't know when I find the time to check with
Linux (maybe weekend), I strongly doubt that my threading code will work
there too.

>We can even work on merging them into one class, since wxMDIParentFrame is
>derived from wxFrame. That's just a consideration. I'd like your feedback
>and Dave's as well.

Hmbpf.
I don't believe that works. wxMDIParentFrame bends that poor wxFrame in
a manner that I doubt it will still behave like a normal wxFrame for me.

>BTW, this paragraph refers to "some later date" after I
>have a nearly functional Query Builder. It would be too easy for conflicts
>to develop if we merge them now. For now I'm simply going to duplicate your
>menus and methods and icons.

Agreed, there are still wishes about the file menu I want to implement.

>I believe Dave wants to avoid two tools. See merge idea from previous
>paragraph with the "view" menu option.
>
>I have no problem with putting the QB tabs at the bottom. The only reason I
>put them at the top is simple negligence. In fact, I'm changing that as we
>speak and will be in my next CVS update.

That's not a special concern to me. For the query builder, it even might
be a better solution. On the other side, it will look more consistent if
it's always at the bottom.

>That's old code. It's been namespaced for more than a month.

Not flushed to cvs?

>In any case,
>we're still working on the object caching solution, so direct DB queries are
>a temporary workaround.

Look at pgTable::GetSql(), there I browse, force pgCollections to
populate and update pgColumns. It's easy, and could be done from
PG_TABLES as well.
Calling ShowTreeDetails(browser,0,0,0,0) has virtually no cost after the
first call.

>BTW, I finally did come across some memory leaks in the additional tree
>code. I haven't pinpointed them yet, but it looks like some database object
>is not being deleted after it's allocated.

That's totally impossible. A long time ago, I decided to write error
free code. Since then, my code has been proven to be complete, precise,
delicious, juicy, absolutely genious and defect free.
Well, almost... ;-)

>I'll try to do more testing to get further data on the memory leaks to you.

Just tell me where you find something. And I'll find out who's at my
machine adding that leaks while I'm off-site. Just reviewed all
ExecuteSet and found two missing pgSet deletes in pgColumn and pgSequence.

Best regards,

Andreas