Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "Randal L(dot) Schwartz" <merlyn(at)stonehenge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for
Date: 2003-03-24 15:18:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> I'm getting beaten up by the mysql users around me because they claim
> that MySQL 4.x with InnoDB solves all of the ACID problems, so Pg no
> longer pulls clearly ahead.
>
> Has anyone examined this closely so that I have some nice things to
> say about Pg instead?

Triggers
Rules
Subselects in target lists*
NUMERIC type of arbitraty precision
PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, PL/Pythin
Multiversioning
User-definited data types, operators, and functions
Write-ahead logging
Partial indexes
Functional indexes
Rollbackable DDL (CREATE/DROP TABLE, etc.)
Absolutely 100% free

How's that, for a start?

*They apparently added subselects as of Jan of this year in FROM
and WHERE clauses. Docs don't mention target lists, they might
have implemented subselects in target lists though.

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com