Re: ERROR: out of free buffers: time to abort!

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: out of free buffers: time to abort!
Date: 2003-03-20 22:34:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net> writes:
>
>>Unlikely. I run this cron job every day, and every day I get the same
>>error. The whole thing should be pretty quick.
>

> Well, I can't reproduce the problem here, and in general this isn't an
> error message we hear of very often. So there's got to be something
> unusual about what you're doing. Any chance that you're invoking
> triggers recursively, or something like that? Could you possibly get
> a stack trace from the point of the elog call?
>
> regards, tom lane

My update looks like:
UPDATE tablename SET intfield = 2 WHERE keyfield IN( ... )

If I lowered the number of items in the IN() then I didn't get the error, but what that
number is is a moving target. 205 used to work a few minutes ago, but now 200 doesn't
work. A vaccuum seems to help matters. In previous versions of postgres I was able to do
up to 10000.

I tried to make a simple test with a table with 10000 entries, but that had no problems.
Maybe I would need a bigger table.