Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-11 02:40:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Momjian wrote:
<snip>
> So, what should we do? Should we go another month or two and just wait
> until we have enough must-have features? While not waiting on specific
> features, it _is_ waiting for something to warrant a release. I guess
> the big question is whether we release on a scheduled-basis or a
> enough-features-basis.

Hmmm, I feel we should decide on features that will make an 8.0 release
meaningful, and *somehow* work to making sure they are ready for the
release.

With 7.1/7.2, Tom mentioned us being delayed because specific features
we were waiting for became dependant on one person.

Would it be feasible to investigate approaches for having the Win32 and
PITR work be shared amongst a few very-interested volunteers, so that
people can cover for each other's downtime? Not sure of the
confidentiality level of the Win32/PITR patches at present, but I'd
guess there would be at least a few solid volunteers willing to
contribute to the Win32/PITR ports if we asked for people to step forwards.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi