Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-10 19:05:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
<snip>
> One way to tamp down expectations of client backwards compatibility
> would be to call the release 8.0 instead of 7.4 ;-)
>
> Comments?

Actually, I've been thinking about the numbering of the next PostgreSQL
version for a few days now.

The scenario that's appealing to me the most is this for the next release:

PostgreSQL 8.0
**************

+ Includes PITR and the Win32 port

+ Not sure where Satoshi is up to with his 2 phase commit proposal, but
that might make sense to incorporate into a wire protocol revision.
From memory he received funding to work on it, so it might be coming
along nicely.

+ Other things optional of course.

Personally, I'd rather we go for PostgreSQL 8.0, waiting a while extra
for PITR and Win32 if needed, and also properly co-ordinate all of the
release process information (website updates, package builds, Announce
to the mailing lists and news sources).

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi