CallableStatement, functions and ResultSets

From: "Scot P(dot) Floess" <floess(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CallableStatement, functions and ResultSets
Date: 2003-03-10 14:16:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I hope someone can help me. And thanks ahead of time!

Here is my problem: I have a table and a function that simply performs
a select * from table. The function returns a setof table. I want to
use a CallableStatement and execute the function, but get an exception
stating "Cannot display a value of type RECORD"

Here is my table:

create table state_table
(
abbreviation char ( 2 ) unique not null,
name text not null
);

Here is the function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION state_find () RETURNS SETOF state_table AS '
DECLARE
_aRow state_table%ROWTYPE;

BEGIN
FOR _aRow IN SELECT * FROM state_table LOOP
RETURN NEXT _aRow;
END LOOP;

RETURN;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Here is the snippet of java code:

private static void retrieveState ( final ResultSet rs ) throws
Exception
{
System.out.println
(
"Abbreviation: <" + rs.getString ( 1 ) +
"> Name: " + rs.getString ( 2 )
);
}

private static void retrieveStates ( final Connection db ) throws
Exception
{
final CallableStatement stmt =
db.prepareCall ( "{call state_find ()}" );

final ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery ();

while ( rs.next () )
{
retrieveState ( rs );
}

stmt.close ();
}

Here is my exception:

java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: Cannot display a value of type RECORD

at
org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:131)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.ExecSQL(AbstractJdbc1Connection.java:505)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc1Statement.java:320)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:48)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc1Statement.java:153)
at org.jpim.populate.Retrieve.retrieveStates(Retrieve.java:58)
at org.jpim.populate.Retrieve.main(Retrieve.java:83)

If I change my method as such:

private static void retrieveStates ( final Connection db ) throws
Exception
{
final PreparedStatement stmt =
db.prepareStatement ( "select * from state_find ()" );
final ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery ();

while ( rs.next () )
{
retrieveState ( rs );
}

stmt.close ();
}

It all works. I've seen on the archives that this is what one needs to
do. And that's fine by me. But my question is this: should I just use
a PreparedStatement that does "select * from state_table" or have a
function that does the "select * from table" and then use a
PreparedStatement to "select * from function()"

My gut feeling is to use a PreparedStatement with "select * from
state_table" I guess I'd really like to know which is more efficient?
And also, I'd like to know why one can't use a CallableStatement?

Thanks again!

Scot

--
Scot P. Floess - 27 Lake Royale - Louisburg, NC 27549 - 252-478-8087

Open Source Home Page
http://javapim.sourceforge.net
http://jplate.sourceforge.net
http://jwaretechniques.sourceforge.net