Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Replacing @ with " at "
Date: 2003-12-05 12:55:03
Lists: pgsql-www

On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 09:34 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
> Theres a couple solutions to this:
>
> 1) Don't make the email address a link
> 2) make the mailto be a valid link, but the words on the page not
> 3) add a checkbox to the submit page to "obfuscate email", so that
> s/@/at, and
> not a link, or we'll leave in @ and make it a link.

As for 2, if the mailto is literal text in the html, a spambot is going
to pick it up regardless—my guess is it's even more likely to pick up a
mailto: link than just a address elsewhere on the page. I know there
are ways of obfuscating the email address using Javascript (such as
Hiveware's Enkoder http://www.hiveware.com/enkoder.php for Mac OS X.
Pretty cool, as it even varies the Javascript so bots have more trouble
learning it. I know someone a lot smarter than me can figure out how to
turn this into a server-side solution, and I'm sure someone probably
already has.)

1 & 3 seem fine, though it would be nice of the mailto: worked as a
link.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com