Re: performance issues for processing more then 150000

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jakab Laszlo <jakablaszlo(at)sofasoft(dot)ro>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance issues for processing more then 150000
Date: 2003-02-21 09:16:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jakab Laszlo wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> I mean here 150000 inserts/day ( quickly grows constantly )... - with
> transactions and on the same table ... maybe after one significant
> amount of time we can move the records of one year to one archive table ...
> And some 2-3 millions of selects / day ...

That's no problem at all, depending on:

+ How complex are the queries you're intending on running?

+ How will the data be spread between the tables?

+ The amount of data per row also makes a difference, if it is
extremely large.

> I would like to know also some hardware related advice.

You're almost definitely going to be needing a SCSI or better RAID
array, plus a server with quite a few GB's of ECC memory.

If you need to get specific about hardware to the point of knowing
exactly what you're needing, you're likely best to pay a good PostgreSQL
consultant to study your proposal in depth.

Hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> thanks,