Re: IpcSemaphoreKill: ...) failed: Invalid argument

From: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: IpcSemaphoreKill: ...) failed: Invalid argument
Date: 2003-02-17 15:36:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This is a fairly spectacular failure :-(. As far as I can see from
the
> semctl and shmctl man pages, the only plausible reason for EINVAL is
> that something had deleted the semaphores and shared memory out from
> under Postgres. I do not believe that Postgres itself could have done

> that --- it had to be some external agency. Unless the kernel is
> broken, whatever requested those deletions had to be running as root
or
> as postgres in order to have the necessary permissions. You sure you
> didn't have some loose-cannon script running around issuing ipcrm
> commands?

No, I'm not sure at all about a loose-cannon script running around
issuing ipcrm commands.
I have to ask the other staff members what scripts are running.
I already had a suspicion that something like an ipcrm command is
causing this,
but it was denied. Now, with your support they probably will believe me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards, Christoph