base36 sequence

From: ninja <mail(at)schnake(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: base36 sequence
Date: 2003-02-16 12:39:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm very new to pgsql but I was wondering if it is possible to use
CREATE SEQUENCE to make auto-increment base36 values for my ID column
[varchar(252)]. I don't see any base convert function, though.
Obviously, the reason I'm doing this is so as to maintain hierarchy. Is
it possible or will I have to increment the sequence outside of pgsql?