Re: location of the configuration files

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 15:59:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
>

>>Here is the test, configure a server, with sendmail, named, apache, and
>>PostgreSQL. Tell me which of these systems doesn't configure right.
>>

>AFAIK, only one of those four is designed to support multiple instances
>running on a single machine. This is not unrelated.

Also, using an explicit configuration file will also help you run
multiple postgresql's on the same machien in a consistent manner, for
instance:

postmaster -C /etc/postgres/common.conf -D /RAID0/postgres -p 5432
postmaster -C /etc/postgres/common.conf -D /RAID1/postgres -p 5433

Please, Tom, tell me why this is such a bad idea?

I will make the patch, I will submit it, will you guys put it in?

If not, why?