Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Tuning Results

From: Hans-Ju"rgen Scho"nig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Tuning Results
Date: 2003-02-13 10:35:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

>Actually, the results are completely expected once you know what's
>exactly is going on. I found it weird that my sorts were also slowing
>down with more sort memory until Tom or Bruce or someone pointed out to
>me that my stats said my sorts were swapping.

this way my first expectation but since the machine was newly booted and
had 1/2 gig of ram (nothing running but PostgreSQL) I couldn't believe
in that theory ...
Maybe but I couldn't verify that ...
Of course swapping is worse than anything else.

>This strikes me, too, as another area where mmap might allow the system
>to do a better job with less tuning. Basically, the sort is getting
>split into a bunch of smaller chunks, each of which is individually
>sorted, and then you merge at the end, right? So if all those individual
>chunks were mmaped, the system could deal with paging them out if and
>when necessary, and for the sorts you do before the merge, you could
>mlock() the area that you're currently sorting to make sure that it
>doesn't thrash.

As far as I have seen in the source code they use Knuth's tape
algorithm. It is based on dividing, sorting, and merging together.

>If the VM system accepts hints, you might also get some further
>optimizations because you can tell it (using madvise()) when you're
>doing random versus sequential access on a chunk of memory.
>
>cj

it is an interesting topic. the result of the benchmark is very clock
speed depedent (at least in case my of my data structure).

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde &. Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14; A-1160 Wien