Re: IpcSemaphoreCreate - detailed account

From: Gregory D Dennis <gdennis(at)MIT(dot)EDU>
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IpcSemaphoreCreate - detailed account
Date: 2003-02-13 07:12:28
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am running Windows XP Pro.

With your expert help, I've been able to narrow down the problem. Here's
what I did:

$ ipc-daemon --install-as-service
$ net start ipc-daemon

The second command produced an error:

The service is not responding to the control function.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

Trying to start it from the services window produced:

Could not start the Cygwin IPC Daemon service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion.

I found archived messages to this list with similar problems using
install-as-service on Windows XP. They suggest, and I used, the following:

$ cygrunsrv --install ipc-daemon --desc "CygWin IPC Daemon" --path
/usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon --termsig INT --shutdown
$ net start ipc-daemon

This produced no error, so I tested it:

$ ipctest s
Test v0.03
semaphore 0 created

I took this to be successful. I then switched to the 'postgres' user and
tried it as well. But this time I received an error:

$ ipctest s
Test v0.03
Unable to create semaphore
semget : Function not implemented

The 'postgres' user is an Administrator. I know postgresql won't work
unless ipctest runs successfully under the postgres user, so this is
where I stopped. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
Greg