Re: How do you select from a table until a condition is met?

From: Dmitry Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>
To: Nicholas Allen <nallen(at)freenet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do you select from a table until a condition is met?
Date: 2003-02-12 22:45:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

Nicholas Allen wrote:

>Ok I thought of that but what happens if there is no primary key in the table?

Then tough luck - as you said yourself, since everything else can be
duplicated, the primary key is the only way to
tell for sure which exact row you are talking about.

>I can probably add primary keys to the table but I didn't design the tables
>and so I have little (but luckily some) say over what columns appear in them.
>What has actually happened is that we have a view on a table and the view
>doesn't return the primary key. I'll try and ask the database administrator
>to add the primary keys.
>
>Thanks for the help though I guess it is the only way to do it. I was just
>hoping there would be a way to do it without a promary key to prevent changes
>to our database views.

I think you are better off redesigning your interface - even if you do
modify the view, and use those suggestions I mentioned earlier,
it will be slow like hell, unless your table only contains a few hundred
rows, in which case it doesn't matter if you send the whole table to the
client every time,

Dima