Re: [Fwd: Backporting parts of databases from a 7.3 server

From: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Backporting parts of databases from a 7.3 server
Date: 2003-02-04 21:23:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org> writes:
>
>>However, this does *not* work between a 7.3-generated dump and a 7.2
>>production server. The archiver complaints of an 'unknown archive format :
>>"0"' (I'm quoting this from the top of my head : my production server is
>>not reachable from the place I'm writing this).
>

> In general, dumps from newer versions make use of SQL features that are
> not in older versions; so it's more or less hopeless to expect backwards
> compatibility of dumps. I'm not sure why pg_dump's archive header
> format changed, but even without that you'd be facing SQL-level
> compatibility issues.
>
> You could perhaps have some success by dumping as a text-format dump
> (not -Fc or -Ft) and then editing the resulting file to dumb the SQL
> down to 7.2's level.

That's what I did ... I had little to no issues with the resulting SQL, but
emacs'ing my way in a database dump was ... strange !

Thanks a lot !

Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : Tom, I'm Cc'ing you, but I'm not sure that this answer will reach you
directly. Your spam filter asininely believes that anybody running SMTP on
a dynamically assigned IP is a spammer !

--
Emmanuel Charpentier