Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

From: "Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "David Lang" <dlang(at)invendra(dot)net>
Cc: "Frank Wiles" <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>, "Juan Casero" <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date: 2005-12-25 03:13:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

David,

> now hot-swap may not be supported on all interface types, that may be what
> you have run into, but with SCSI or SATA you should be able to hot-swap
> with the right controller.

That's actually the problem - Linux hot swap is virtually non-functional for SCSI. You can write into the proper places in /proc, then remove and rescan to get a new drive up, but I've found that the resulting OS state is flaky. This is true of the latest 2.6 kernels and LSI and Adaptec SCSI controllers.

The problems I've seen are with Linux, not the controllers.

- Luke