Help with version/behavior quirks.

From: Jon V <jon(at)cecorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with version/behavior quirks.
Date: 2003-01-28 21:23:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Here's the story....

We have a product that was developed using MsSQL server. We recently
changed over to PostgreSQL in an ongoing effort to get away from MS
products. We have one workstation that this port was done on, and we are
now trying to deploy on other machines.

Environment is pg under cygwin, odbc, and pgadmin II.

On the development/test machine (pg 7.2.3, odbc 7.1.9, pgadmin 1.2.0),
you can put a query inside begin/end statements and get the results. e.g.

begin;
select * from table_name;
end;

returns the table contents.

We have several other machines, running various combinations, e.g.
pg 7.3.1, odbc 7.2.5, pgadmin 1.4.12
pg 7.2.1, odbv 7.2.3, pgadmin 1.2.0

and with those we just get a "query OK" message. It obviously does the
query, but it doesn't display the results.

Which behavior is "right", and is there something we can do to see the
results?

Our application has a function that returns a cursor with a result set.
This works with the first system (the development system this was coded
on) but we can't get a similar behavior to work on the platform we want
to deploy/develop on now.

Alternatively, is there another way to return a set of rows/columns from
a function? We are converting from an MsSQL app that had a stored
procedure that returned several results all at once. This was no problem
in MsSQL, but seems to require explicit cursor use in postgresql?

Thanks in advance!

-Jon