Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads
Date: 2003-01-27 10:00:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 27 Jan 2003 at 3:54, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 03:45, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > transactions you would like to see. I remember to have benchmarked that and
> > concluded that doing copy in one transaction is the fastest way of doing it.
>
> Boy Scout motto: Be prepared!! (Serves me well as a DBA.)

Goes for everything else as well..

> So it takes a little longer. In case of failure, the time would be
> more than made up. Also, wouldn't the WAL grow hugely if many millions
> of rows were inserted in one txn?

Nops.. If WAL starts recycling, postgresql should start flishing data from WAL
to data files.

At any given moment, WAL will not exceed of what you have configured. They are
just read ahead logs most of the times intended for crash recovery.
(Consequently it does not help setting WAL bigger than required.)

Bye
Shridhar

--
nominal egg: New Yorkerese for expensive.