Re: Have a PG 7.3.1 Windows (cygwin) easy installer... now

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Have a PG 7.3.1 Windows (cygwin) easy installer... now
Date: 2003-01-27 02:37:38
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> Hi Justin,
>
> Does it use the Microsoft Installer service so we can provide a merge
> module for embedded installations in other products as we do for
> psqlODBC? If not, I for one will probably end up redoing it all anyway
> :-(

Hi Dave,

It's an installation "setup.exe" type of thing, created using a product
called Inno Setup.

Spent about 20 minutes last night on an email to Mark (mlw) yesterday
after analysing his Inno Setup script (he's got some good ideas in
there), but Mozilla died when I hit send. Arrgh.

It would be cool if we had a project on GBorg for it, so we can create
and co-ordinate the "windows specific bits" that will be desirable to
have for 7.4 when it's released. We can use 7.3.1 for the moment and
practise with that. There's probably no real reason that people can't
use the 7.3.1 version for smaller stuff in the real world (personal
workstation database for development, etc).

The package here also has the ODBC drivers in it, but doesn't include
pgAdmin, nor Igor's WinMaster. It was originally assembled with both of
them, but WinMaster didn't seem to really add anything (the package
auto-installs as a service), and with pgAdmin I was having trouble
getting it to register HighlightBox.ocx and use it once installed. :(
No real stress there, as I'm really sure the pgAdmin team and yourself
will be able to give pointers on how to make that work properly. :)

Mark's version uses his custom built CygConsole program, based on Igor's
WinMaster, and sounds like it has more functionality, but it doesn't
install as a service. The target for the package here is that
PostgreSQL gets installed and runs in the background unless it's
explicitely disabled or de-installed. The package here also has a bunch
of shortcuts in it to the websites.

Will chuck it up on the techdocs site somewhere in a few minutes as a
temporary home until we get the GBorg project up and running.

Anyone have a good idea for the name of the project?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Regards, Dave.