Re: Windows Build System was: Win32 port patches

From: "bbaker(at)priefert(dot)com" <bbaker(at)priefert(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows Build System was: Win32 port patches
Date: 2003-01-22 20:47:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Firebird uses a set of Borland command line tools and Borland's make,
which they give away as a free download. Even if you're compiling for
Windows, the build process uses Borland's command line "make". A batch
build script copies makefiles from a single source directory and spreads
them around the tree, then kicks off Borland's make. For things to work
successfully, you must download Borland's tools and install them
together with setting a few environment variables by hand. Borland
command line tools are just a set of Unix utilities like grep, sed,
make, (sh?) etc. Once upon a time they required cygwin utilities, but
managed to purge themselves of cygwin with the Borland utilities. When
they required cygwin, they also required some Borland utilities anyway.
So they had a real reason for purging cygwin. If someone thinks the
cygwin package is too big, we could require the Borland utilities instead :)

For my 2 cents, I would say the project files should be a separate
download. Let someone build, test, and contribute them for particular
versions of PostgreSQL. I would only try to make the Visual Studio
files work on true releases. I would _not_ try to keep them updated in
CVS or build them on the fly. W3.org's libwww does it something like this.

bbaker