Re: [pgsql-advocacy] www.postgresql.org

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] www.postgresql.org
Date: 2003-01-07 16:04:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On 7 Jan 2003 at 10:49, Steve Litt wrote:

> At Troubleshooters.Com, our experience is that hosting ads isn't worth it.
> Word is out that ads are so ineffective, that people are unwilling to pay
> even a penny per impression.

My experience running freebsddiary.org, freshports.org, and
freshsource.org differs from that of the above.

> Perhaps you could have third parties host small (5 paragraph) essays, with a
> link to their website. Bandwidth is about the same as a banner ad, but the
> essay, if written right, goes a long way to giving the author credibility. At
> the bottom of the essay (or maybe at the top) is a link to their commercial
> web page. I think that type of advertising might be effective enough to draw
> revenue.
>
> All essays should be valuable to the reader whether or not he or she purchases
> the product. But of course, you'll learn/get a lot more if you purchase the
> product.

I think that those who are objecting to ads on the site should follow
the suggestion given by Josh Berkus at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-01/msg00191.php

In other words, stop providing suggestions as to what can be done.
Get off your own ass and do it. In short, put up or shut up.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/