Re: postgres on windows with minimal cygwin

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "Todd F(dot) Peterson" <tfp(at)ncgr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres on windows with minimal cygwin
Date: 2003-01-01 22:54:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am doing the exact same thing, in fact there is a Windows console
program floating around that Igor Georgiev started and I did some work
on, if you look at the archives, you may find it.

One thing you may want to do is inspect the registry setting for the
cygwin directory. Make sure it is what you think it should be.

Second, when I was creating my install, I had a full blown cygwin
directory and a smaller postgres version. If you run the ipc-daemon
program while the registry settings are set for the main cygwin
directory, it will cause problems when you try to run from the postgres
directory. You will need to kill the ipc-daemon program, update the
registry, then run ipc-daemon and postgres.

In the console program, mentioned earlier, it allows for the ipc-daemon
to be run prior to postmaster, and killed at exit. Besides looking nicer
than a DOS window, it also alows loging the output to a file.