Re: v7.3.1 tar ready ... please check it ...

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: v7.3.1 tar ready ... please check it ...
Date: 2002-12-18 16:05:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>>The problem is that there is nothing to announce ... "Hi, we fixed some
>>bugs"? :) minor releases don't have any features added to them, so isn't
>>really news worthy ... :(
>

> I don't know, if you're a postgresql user and you don't read these lists,
> you might find out about a bug in a release note and upgrade when you
> otherwise might not.
>
> www.linuxtoday.com has weekly updates from many gnu / OSS projects which
> are far less interesting than our 7.3.1 release is. I could see posting a
> minor upgrade release notice there and on other OSS news web site
> (freshmeat, slashdot, etc...)

At the very least the PostgreSQL website team should be loudly notified so we can confirm the needed links have been
updated prior to the release announcement.

It probably wouldn't hurt to go through a proper release process, but determine which steps are optional or not needed
for smaller releases.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin clift