Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces

From: Iavor Raytchev <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgaccess - developers <developers(at)pgaccess(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces
Date: 2002-12-14 00:44:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Then you will have what you want. You will be used by a limited number
of developers who understand the idea. And you will have ugly dialogues
like that. This sounds a bit like 'what would happen if all population
of the world were male'. Or all were developers. You should accept the
fact that you never have developers on the front line. Even if you take
Microsoft - I even do not know the name of the chief software engineer
(do not tell me this is Mr. Gates, he is not - there is a guy with a
beard, the third richest man in the world or so). Or if you take Oracle
- you have Larry. Larry is not a developer. Or even with MySQL - you see
the marketing machine. Even with Linux - I have not seen Linus in the
press for ages. Or Alan. All 'gurus' are hidden. You take the hype - the
hype of Bill or the hype of Linus. Or the charming and successfully
arogant Lary. And make a product out of it and a market. As long as the
developers of PostgreSQL want to be on the front line - it will be what
it is - a fine database used by the people who have the clue to talk to
and understand developers. An uncut diamond.

I actually do not understand why is the whole cry - why not somebody who
has REALLY the marketing in his/her heart - does not make an open source
amazingly beautiful and powerful web site. You do not have to ask Bruce
for that. You get BRICOLAGE - it is free, and it is good - salon.com
runs on it. You inspire some great designer to do the desing (do not ask
a developer to do that, otherwise a designer might want to do some code
and PostgreSQL is lost). Call Mario Garcia (www.mariogarcia.com) - he
will be proud to help. And you take ten fanatic advocacy people to fill
in success stories and case studies. News. Whatever.

It does not take that much. It take strong individuals that lead.
However, some people on HACKERS find special pleasure to kill all
initiative. I do not see this for first time...

Iavor

www.pgaccess.org