pg_dumpall doesn't work

From: Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson(at)unboundtech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dumpall doesn't work
Date: 2002-12-13 20:03:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

This is what I get when I do a pg_dumpall. I have *no* idea what to do
here. I'm trying to migrate from 7.0.3 to 7.2.1, and the manual said to
use pg_dumpall for this rather than using pg_dump on each database
(which works). *Please* help.

[postgres(at)everest /tmp]$ pg_dumpall -u > file
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
\connect template1
select datdba into table tmp_pg_shadow from pg_database where
datname = 'template1';
delete from pg_shadow where usesysid <> tmp_pg_shadow.datdba;
drop table tmp_pg_shadow;
copy pg_shadow from stdin;
Password:
psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
\.
delete from pg_group;
copy pg_group from stdin;
Password:
psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
\.
Password:
[postgres(at)everest /tmp]$ cat file
\connect template1
select datdba into table tmp_pg_shadow from pg_database where
datname = 'template1';
delete from pg_shadow where usesysid <> tmp_pg_shadow.datdba;
drop table tmp_pg_shadow;
copy pg_shadow from stdin;

\.
delete from pg_group;
copy pg_group from stdin;

\.

[postgres(at)everest /tmp]$ psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.0.3
contains readline, history, multibyte support
Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2000, PostgreSQL, Inc
Portions Copyright (c) 1996 Regents of the University of California
Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
usage and distribution terms.
[postgres(at)everest /tmp]$

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)