Re: bison error

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: bigapple <bigapple__2002(at)163(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bison error
Date: 2002-12-09 07:08:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

bigapple wrote:
> hi,
> When I check out the pgsql from cvs and I complile it, an error occured .
>
> dir: pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc
> bison -y -d preproc.y
> erro information:
> preproc.y:5559: fatal error: maximum table size (32767) exceeded.

You need at least version 1.5 of bison. Last time I checked, the latest out
was 1.75

> However, I used the source from the ftp, find preproc.c in there. gmake will skip the
> step(bison -y -d preproc.y) and succeeded.
>
> who can tell me why?

Source distributions contain preprocessed files so that you can compile
PostgreSQL without needing bison installed. I think you only need bison if you
get source code from CVS (or want to hack the grammar in the source distribution).

HTH,

Joe