Re: Connections sitting idle...

From: "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connections sitting idle...
Date: 2002-12-05 09:52:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On 5 Dec 2002 at 11:53, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Yes IIS uses the connection pooling mechanism by default.
> Pooled connections would be re-used if possible for other
> sessions without re-establishing new connections.

I should have mentioned that I turned off connection pooling for the
PostgreSQL ODBC driver to see would it make a difference, but the
backends hung around anyway. On the production system I will use
pooling - if the backends are there, hopefully they'll be re-used
rather than having new ones opened. I still have to try this out.

> Anyway I can't see other sessions' info at all in your
> example. How do other sessions behave ?

The same thing happens consistently.

...and on 5 Dec 2002 at 8:06, Dave Page wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is the underlying ADO. It's for this reason that
> pgAdmin can't drop databases - no matter how you tell ADO to close the
> connection , it 'helpfully' keeps it open preventing you from ever
> dropping that database.

Does you mean that ADO keeps the connection open regardless of
whether or not connection pooling is turned on? Is there any way to
control this behaviour? I don't see anything in the properties of the
ADO connection object to affect this, but maybe I just missed it at
2.00 am..... :)

Many thanks for your replies!

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod(at)iol(dot)ie Galway Cathedral Recitals