Re: How does postgres handle non literal string values

From: "Rob Hills" <rob(at)netpaver(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How does postgres handle non literal string values
Date: 2002-11-26 17:18:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

On 25 Nov 2002 at 4:57, javaholic wrote:

Your problem is really a JSP one rather than a postgres problem, and probably doesn't
really belong on this list. That said, I know much more java/jsp than I do postgres, so I'll
try and help.

> I have some jsp code that should insert a user name and password into
> a table called login.
>
> Instead of inserting the values given by the client, it insert the
> literal string 'username' and 'password. The problem is somewhere in
> the INSERT statement.

Yup, your INSERT statement is doing exactly what you've asked it to do, inserting the
literal strings 'username' and 'password' into the table.

> <%
> String insertString =
> "INSERT INTO \"login\" (\'user\', \'password\')
> VALUES ('username', 'password')";
> %>

To do it correctly using JSP, try the following:

<%
String insertString = "INSERT INTO \"login\" (\'user\', \'password\')
VALUES ('" + username + "', '" + password + "')";
%>

However, you would probably be better off using a PreparedStatement object rather
than a Statement for various reasons, but especially to avoid trying to get the single-
and double-quotes right in the above statement.

HTH,

Rob Hills
MBBS, Grad Dip Com Stud, MACS
Senior Consultant