Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster

From: "Charles H(dot) Woloszynski" <chw(at)clearmetrix(dot)com>
To: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah(dot)" <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster
Date: 2002-11-21 17:06:03
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

How are you going to make use of the three faster drives under
postgresql? Were you intending to put the WAL, system/swap, and the
actual data files on separate drives/partitions? Unless you do
something like that (or s/w RAID to distribute the processing across the
disks), you really have ONE SCSI 15K Ultra320 drive against 3 slower
drives with the RAID overhead (and spreading of performance because of
the multiple heads).

I don't have specifics here, but I'd expect that the RAID5 on slower
drives would work better for apps with lots of selects or lots of
concurrent users. I suspect that the Ultra320 would be better for batch
jobs and mostly transactions with less selects.

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.